A blog dedicated to recipes and food from here at home and around the world

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Traditional Arab Hummus

Hummus is something I did not like until recently. Being Kurdish, we never made it, and only got exposed to it through our Arab friends. My first few attempts were less than great, but I once saw my moms friend make it, and I just used her method, and thats what I am sharing now!

Ingredients:
1 can chick peas, drained, 3 tables of the liquid reserved
3 tablespoons of tahini paste
1 tablespoon of olive oil
half the juice of a lemon
1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
pinch of salt
Olive oil and chili powder for garnish
(optional: some olives)

Put the chick peas and reserved liquid in a blender. Blend on high for about a minute.

Turn off and add the tahini, lemon, finely minced garlic, pinch of salt, and olive oil. Blend until you get a smooth consistency, adding water if need be.

Once its smooth, scoop it out in a plate, making sure the sides are a little more elevated than the center. Drizzle on olive oil, lightly coating most of the hummus. Then sprinkle on chili powder. I usually then add some olives for garnish, and then done! Serve with warm pita bread, pita chips, or vegetables.


No comments:

Post a Comment