A blog dedicated to recipes and food from here at home and around the world

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chicken Tikka

This is one of the few Indian dishes most of my family will eat. Chicken tikka is chicken pieces marinated in yogurt and spices, then broiled or grilled. Theres also chicken tikka masala, where you make the chicken the same way, but theres also a creamy spiced tomato sauce you put the chicken in. I'll make that in a future post as well.

A few years ago, I hadnt ever had Indian food, and I rarely had anything spicy. But I became friends with a woman of Pakistani decent, and one of the first times we hung out, we went to an Indian restaurant. I loved everything I ate, and soon nothing was spicy enough for me.

This dish is simple, extremely flavorful, and a great crowd pleaser.

Ingredients:
1 pound of chicken breast, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic ginger paste
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/4 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Get a large shallow bowl, and put the chicken in it. Add all of the spices, the yogurt, the ginger garlic paste, and 1 tablespoon of the oil.

Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees.
Now mix up the chicken and the marinade. For the best results, marinade the chicken in the fridge for two hours or as much as one day. I didnt marinade this time, and it tasted great anyways.

Get a baking tray, and coat the boat with oil. Place the chicken in a single layer on the sheet, and place in the oven.

Cook for 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear.

Now place the chicken on a plate, and serve with rice or naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment