A blog dedicated to recipes and food from here at home and around the world

Monday, February 13, 2012

Moroccan style chickpeas and cauliflower curry

I believe that many more people would like vegetables if they were cooked the right way. So many times I've seen people just boil broccoli, brussel sprouts, or cauliflower, but there are so many better ways to cook food in ways that enhance its flavor.

This is one such dish. You use vegetables and make a thick, slightly spicy curry that adds incredible flavor to ordinarily bland vegetables like cauliflower.

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
Half of a small cauliflower head, cut into florets
1 medium onion, chopped
I large carrot, chopped
3/4 cup of hot water
1/4 cup cream
1 chicken or vegetable bullion
1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic ginger paste
1 1/2 teaspoons of curry powder
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon or more of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of oil

Add one tablespoon of the oil to a dutch oven pot, and heat to medium. Add the onion and carrot and sprinkle some pepper on top. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.

Then add the chickpeas, chicken or vegetable bullion, water, and all the spices.

Cook for about 10 minutes on medium. Coat the cauliflower florets with the remaning oil, and some salt and pepper.

Add to the dutch over, and cook for about 30 minutes more on medium heat.

Add more water through this process if most of yours has evaporated. Add 1/4 cups of cream and slowly mix in, making sure not to break apart the cauliflower.


Cook for another minute, then turn off. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then serve.

I like this best over plain white rice.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is delicious. Do you come up with the recipes yourself or are you inspired by others and make your own versions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I come up with some recipes myself, usually by seeing what I have in my kitchen and seeing what I could do with it. Other dishes, like this one, were inspired by other dishes I had seen, but add my own touch to!

    ReplyDelete